Below are a few ideas to stimulate your thinking on what you or your organization can do to advance the vision.
As an organization, we can…
- Explore what your organization wants to be known for related to nursing ethics.
- Incorporate ethics into your strategic vision and plan. Where is ethics visible within your organization’s strategic plan? Where are there opportunities to align ethics content with current activities and initiatives?
- Include ethics content in upcoming conferences.
- Focus attention on ethical issues that impact nursing practice in your organization’s publications, newsletters and media vehicles.
- Join with other organizations to deepen the dialogue around one of the 4 domains—clinical practice, education, policy, and research.
- Sponsor a work group to refine or implement all or part of the action plan in a key domain.
- Use the Blueprint for 21st Century Nursing Ethics to engage members within your chapters or local communities to develop local working groups to address key areas of the action plans.
- Be creative! Develop a new action step that you are committed to implementing.
As an individual, I can…
- Share the vision with your colleagues and ask them to sign the pledge and make a commitment to action.
- Collaborate with one of the collaborating partners to implement one of the action items in the blueprint.
- Create conversations about the report with specific colleagues or groups that may have interest in one the domains—clinical practice, education, policy or research.
- Engage inter-professional colleagues in designing a plan to advance one of the areas of the blueprint.
- Submit your information for inclusion in the directory of nurses with expertise in ethics.
- Write a blog post about an issue that addresses a contemporary issue in nursing ethics.
- Write an op-ed about the issues that keep nurses up at night.
- Convene a local nursing leadership meeting that includes key stakeholders in clinical practice, education, policy and research to develop a local blueprint for addressing issues in nursing ethics.
- Be creative! Develop a new action step that you are committed to implementing!