Daniel Finkelstein, MD, is Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. His training was at Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania, the National Institutes of Health, and Johns Hopkins. His ophthalmology interests are in retinal physiology, retinal degenerative diseases, and retinal vascular diseases and their laser management. Most recently, he has been active in directing collaborative randomized laser trials in vein occlusions and the development of new laser techniques to bypass retinal vascular occlusions. He was President of The Macula Society, an international association of retina specialists. In the past, he served on The Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board, chaired The Johns Hopkins Medical Ethics Committee, and was Editor of The Johns Hopkins Hospital Medical Ethics Newsletter. His bioethics interest recently has been with the significance of spirituality to the doctor patient relationship; he has a master’s degree in theology.
AB, Harvard College,
MD, University of Pennsylvania, Medical School
Free University of Berlin, Post-Sophomore Fellowship,
Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, Internship
The Wilmer Eye Institute, Residency
Chief Resident, The Wilmer Eye Institute The Johns Hopkins Hospital
The Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Fellowship
- Magyar-Russell G, Fosarelli P, Taylor H, Finkelstein D. “Ophthalmology Patients’ Religious and Spiritual Beliefs: An Opportunity to Build Trust in the Patient-Physician Relationship,” Archives of Ophthalmology 126(9):1262-1265; September 2008.
- Hayeems, RZ, Geller, G, Finkelstein, D, Faden, RR. “How Patients Experience Progressive Loss of Visual Function: A Model of Adjustment,” British Journal of Ophthalmology 89:615-620; 2005; DOI:10.1136/bjo.2003.036046.
- Finkelstein, D. “The Utility of Ranking Ophthalmology Centers. The Ranking of Ophthalmology Centers in Ophthalmology and Lay Publications is Not Appropriate for Medicine in Today’s Business World,” Archives of Ophthalmology 118:1579-1580; November 2000.
- Finkelstein, D, Wu, AW, Holtzman, NA, Smith, ME. “When a Physician Harms a Patient by a Medical Error: Ethical, Legal, and Risk-Management Considerations,” The Journal of Clinical Ethics 8:330-335; 1997.
- Holroyd, S, Rabins, PV, Finkelstein, D, Nicholson, MC, Chase, GA, Wisniewski, SC. “Visual Hallucinations in Patients with Macular Degeneration,” American Journal of Psychiatry 149:12; 1992.
- Finkelstein, D, Grusser, OJ. “Frog Retina: Detection of Movement,” Science 1050-1053; 1965.