Matthew DeCamp, MD, PhD, is an Assistant Professor at the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and in the Johns Hopkins Division of General Internal Medicine. A practicing internist, his current research focuses on ethical issues in health reform (focusing on accountable care organizations, ACOs). With K08 funding from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, he is presently investigating how ACOs nationwide are engaging patients in board-level decisions about ACO priorities and programs, with plans to design improved engagement strategies. Other interests include social media and medical professionalism, as well as ethics in global health (with special emphasis on short-term global health training). After graduating from Purdue University (2000) with a degree in biochemistry, he entered the Medical Scientist (MD/PhD) Training Program at Duke University. His PhD (philosophy) thesis was entitled, “Global Health: A Normative Analysis of Intellectual Property Rights and Global Distributive Justice.” From 2008-2010 he was an internal medicine resident at the University of Michigan before completing a joint post-doctoral fellowship (2013) at Johns Hopkins in General Internal Medicine and Bioethics & Health Policy (through a Greenwall Fellowship). Dr. DeCamp’s research includes both conceptual and empirical methods. Additional relevant experience includes Institutional Review Board membership, as well as teaching and mentorship recognized with a 2013 Excellence in Global Health Advising Award by the Johns Hopkins Center for Global Health. He regularly teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on topics in bioethics, human rights, and clinical ethics (with a focus on justice).
- Eze-Ajoku E, Lavoie M, DeCamp M. Exploring the Evidence Base Behind Quality Measures.American Journal of Medical Quality. 2017; in press.
- Cherniak W, Latham E, Astle B, Anguyo G, Beaunoir T, Buenaventura J, DeCamp M, Diaz K, Eichbaum Q, Hedimbi M, Myser C, Nwobu C, Standish K, Evert J. Visiting Trainees in Global Settings: Host and Partner Perspectives on Desirable Competencies. Annals of Global Health 2017;83(2):359-68. doi:10.1016/j.aogh.2017.04.007. PMID:28619413.
- Schulz J, DeCamp M, Berkowitz S. Regional Cost and Experience, Not Size or Hospital Inclusion, Helps Predict ACO Success. Medicine 2017;96(24):e7209. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000007209. PMID:28614267.
- DeCamp M, Tilburt J. Ethics and High Value Care. Journal of Medical Ethics 2017;43:307–309. doi:10.1136/medethics-2016-1038802017. PMID:28130386.
- DeCamp M, Riggs K. Navigating Ethical Tensions in High-Value Care Education. JAMA 2016;316:2189-2190. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.17488. PMID:27923098.
- Schulz J, DeCamp M, Berkowitz S. Medicare Shared Savings Program: Public Reporting and Shared Savings Distributions. American Journal of Managed Care 2015;21(8):546-553. PMID: 26295354.
- DeCamp M, Lehmann LS. Guiding Choice – Ethically Influencing Referrals in ACOs. New England Journal of Medicine 2015;372(3):205-207. doi:10.1056/NEJMp1412083. PMID:25587946.
- DeCamp M, Farber NJ, Torke AM, George M, Berger Z, Keirns CC, Kaldjian LC. Ethical Challenges for Accountable Care Organizations. J Gen Intern Med 2014;29(10):1392–1399. doi:10.1007/s11606-014-2833-x. PMID:24664441.
- Riggs K, DeCamp M. Providing Price Displays for Physicians: Which Price is Right? JAMA 2014;312(16):1631-1632. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.7105. PMID:25335141.
- DeCamp M, Joffe S, Fernandez CV, Faden RR, Unguru Y, and the Working Group on Chemotherapy Drug Shortages in Pediatric Oncology. Chemotherapy Drug Shortages in Pediatric Oncology: A Consensus Statement. Pediatrics 2014;133(3):e716-e724. doi:10.1542/peds.2013-2946. PMID:24488741.
- DeCamp M, Sugarman J, Berkowitz S. Shared Savings in Accountable Care Organizations: How to Determine Fair Distributions. JAMA 2014;311(10):1011-1012. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.498. PMID:24618958.
- DeCamp M, Enumah S, O’Neill D, Sugarman J. Perceptions of a Short-term Medical Programme in the Dominican Republic: Voices of Care Recipients. Global public health 2014;9(4):411-425. doi:10.1080/17441692.2014.893368. PMID:24617943.
- DeCamp M, Koenig T, Chisholm M. Social Media and Physicians’ Online Identity Crisis. JAMA 2013;310(6):581-582. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.8238. PMID:23942675.
- DeCamp M, Rodriguez J, Hecht S, Barry M, Sugarman J. An ethics curriculum for short-term global health trainees. Global Health 2013;9(5). doi:10.1186/1744-8603-9-5. PMID:23410089.