- 1809 Ashland Avenue
- Baltimore, MD, 21205
Matthew DeCamp, MD, PhD, is an Assistant Professor at the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and in the Johns Hopkins Division of General Internal Medicine. A practicing internist, his current research interests include social media and medical professionalism, ethical issues in health reform (focusing on accountable care organizations), and global health (with special emphasis on short-term global health training). After graduating from Purdue University (2000) with a degree in biochemistry, he entered the Medical Scientist (MD/PhD) Training Program at Duke University. His PhD (philosophy) thesis was entitled, “Global Health: A Normative Analysis of Intellectual Property Rights and Global Distributive Justice.” From 2008-2010 he was an internal medicine resident at the University of Michigan before completing a joint post-doctoral fellowship (2013) at Johns Hopkins in General Internal Medicine and Bioethics & Health Policy (through a Greenwall Fellowship). Dr. DeCamp’s research includes both conceptual and empirical methods. Additional relevant experience includes Institutional Review Board membership, as well as teaching and mentorship recently recognized with a 2013 Excellence in Global Health Advising Award by the Johns Hopkins Center for Global Health. In Spring 2014, he will teach a dual level course, “Global Health and Human Rights: Theoretical Foundations and Practical Implications.”
- DeCamp M, Rodriguez J, Hecht S, Barry M, Sugarman J. (2013) An ethics curriculum for short-term global health trainees. Globalization and Health. 9:5. PMID 23410089. PMCID: PMC3598721.
- DeCamp M, Koenig T, Chisholm M. Social Media and Physicians’ Online Identity Crisis. [Viewpoint] JAMA. 2013;310(6):581-2. PMID 23942675. PMCID:PMC3954788.
- DeCamp M, Joffe S, Fernandez CV, Faden RR, Unguru Y, and the Working Group on Chemotherapy Drug Shortages in Pediatric Oncology. Chemotherapy Drug Shortages in Pediatric Oncology: A Consensus Statement. Pediatrics 2014;doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-2946.
- DeCamp M, Enumah S, O’Neill D, Sugarman J. Perceptions of a Short-term Medical Programme in the Dominican Republic: Voices of Care Recipients. Glob Public Health 2014;9(4):411-25.
- DeCamp M, Farber NJ, Torke AM, George M, Berger Z, Keirns CC, Kaldjian LC. Ethical Challenges for Accountable Care Organizations. J Gen Intern Med 2014 (in press).
- DeCamp M, Sugarman J, Berkowitz S. Shared Savings in Accountable Care Organizations: How to Determine Fair Distributions. [Viewpoint] JAMA 2014;311:1011-12.
- Romo M, DeCamp M. Ethics in Global Health Outreach: Three Key Considerations for Pharmacists. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2014 (in press).
- Taylor J, McKibben R, DeCamp M, Chisholm M. Putting a face on the prescription opioid epidemic: A case report. General Hospital Psychiatry (in press).