Renee Boss, a faculty member at the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and an associate professor in the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, has a special expertise in neonatal palliative care. She founded the Palliative Care Working Group in the division, and is a member of the Maryland Pediatric Palliative Care Coalition, and of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Dr. Boss also sits on the Johns Hopkins Ethics Committee. Her awards include the Young Investigators Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She has been published in several peer-reviewed journals, including the American Journal of Medicine, the Journal of Palliative Medicine, and Pediatrics.
Medical School: Boston University School of Medicine
Residencies: Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson
Fellowships: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Boss RD, Geller G, Donohue PK. “Conflicts in Learning to Care for Critically Ill Newborns: ‘It Makes Me Question My Own Morals,’” Journal of Bioethical Inquiry; 2014 (in press).
- Boss RD. Infants, Ethical Issues. In Encyclopedia of Bioethics, 4th ed., Macmillan Reference: USA; 2014.
- Boss RD, Shapiro MC. Ethical Considerations in Congenital Heart Disease in Congenital Heart Disease: Molecular Genetics, Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment; 2014 (in press).
- Boss RD, Hutton N. Emerging Ethical Complexities in Pediatric Palliative Care. In Palliative Care and Ethics: Common Ground and Cutting Edges, 1st ed., Oxford University Press; 2014.
- Boss, R. D., Holmes, K. W., Althaus, J., Rushton, C. H., McNee, H., & McNee, T. (2013). Trisomy 18 and Complex Cardiac Disease: Searching for Threshold Benefit Pediatrics, 132(1), 161-165.
- Boss, R. D., Urban, A., Barnett, M. D., & Arnold, R. M. (2013). Neonatal Critical Care Communication: Training NICU Physicians and Nurse Practitioners. Journal of Perinatology, 33(8), 642-646.
- Boss, R. D., & Clarke-Pounder, J. P. (2012). Perinatal and Neonatal Palliative Care: Targeting the Underserved. Progress in Palliative Care, 20(6), 343-348.