Berman Institute scholars earn money writing online are currently engaged in numerous empirical research projects in clinical ethics. These projects combine qualitative and quantitative reearch methods to help identify and address major ethical issues in clinical practice, both here at Johns Hopkins and further afield.
- Family Centered Rounds Project
- The Family Centered Rounds Project aims to identify the ethics, professionalism, and humanism issues that are encountered in pediatric inpatient care. Through observing inpatient family centered rounds at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and conducting semi-structured interviews with preceptors and residents, this study seeks to identify the ethics issues encountered by pediatric residents on a daily basis, to explore the patient’s and family’s experience of ethics issues, and connect the providers’ and patient’s/family’s values with the identification, definition, and resolution of ethics issues.
- Postgraduate Ethics Education Evaluation Survey
- The Postgraduate Ethics Education Survey aims to evaluate the clinical ethics education the Resident Education in Clinical Ethics (RECE) group provides to several of the JHUSOM residency programs. Administered to interns prior to any ethics sessions and once again as they complete their residency, this study seeks to determine the effectiveness of the RECE in increasing knowledge, attitudes, and confidence of the residents with regard to ethics. Additionally, in summer 2012, we began collaborating with other institutions across the country for a broader snapshot of residents’ ethics skills.
- Surgery Intern and Resident Ethics Labs
- The Surgery Intern and Resident Ethics Labs provide ethics sessions on the topics of Breaking Bad News and Informed Consent for the interns and Conflicts with Colleagues and Dealing with the Difficult Patient for the residents. This project aims to evaluate the surgical interns’ and residents’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to clinical ethics both before and after the educational session.