Facilitator Note 1
Addiction rates among patients with SCD have been reported to be within a range of 0 to 11% (Jacob) and 0 to 9% (Solomon). Encourage participants to see related references for these articles.
Facilitator Note 2
Pause for a moment here to invite participants to reflect on what they wish they could do to help their patients. Invite responses from the group:
- How do you feel when you are unable to relieve their pain or suffering?
- How do you typically respond to patients who have continued pain crises?
- What assumptions do you make?
- What behaviors or character traits do you associate with “drug seekers or drug addicts”?
Facilitator Note 3
The following plenary will cover the following themes:
- What is respect? What is the relationship between respect, trustworthiness, and trust?
- What does it mean to show respect for patients as persons?
- How are discrimination and bias departures from respect?
- What are the consequences of respect for patients…or its lack?
- What are some ways in which SCD patients are not treated with respect?